We go about our daily lives without realizing how much we rely on electricity. When the power goes out, most of us are left helpless! Most of us will know the frustration of the power going out and having to scramble around, looking for a flashlight in the pitch black.
Some power outages, you can be prepared for, such as scheduled maintenance on power lines. Other outages, you’re not quite so lucky. Ice storms, wind and rain can bring down your electricity means, leaving you in the dark.
Keep these tips in mind when facing a power outage emergency:
- Store flashlights, batteries, and candles in an easily accessible area.
- Keep a first aid kit handy!
- Purchase a hand-cranked or battery-powered radio so that you can stay informed of what’s happening.
- Stock your pantry with an emergency supply of non-perishable food.
- Store plenty of drinking water!
- Get in a gas camping stove for means of cooking.
- Load your freezer with a couple of bags of ice. This will help to keep your food items cooler.
- Use a landline (keep your power company’s number on hand) instead of your cell phone. You will most likely not lose your phone service.
- Turn off all appliances that you were using when the power went out.
- Leave one light switched on so that you’ll know when the electricity is back on.
- You may want to keep a set of cards or a board game handy – power outages can take a while!
While you can’t predict power outages, you can prepare for the unexpected. In case of such an incident or an accident, fall back on your homeowners insurance.
Contact Purves & Associates Insurance Services for all of your Sacramento, CA home, auto, and more insurance needs! Our team in Davis, California can provide you with the insurance coverage to stay protected in unlikely circumstances!