The best gift you can give on Valentine’s Day is the gift of a healthy heart. February marks American Heart Month and is a great time to make small changes that can have a huge effect on your health.
February is American Heart Month and a great month to make small changes with big, positive results. Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. Many people can benefit from small changes to their diet and exercise routine, but few ever make that change. Here are a few small changes you can make which can make a big difference on the health of your heart.
- Eat More Vegetables: Cook healthier meals with less meat and more vegetables. Cook at home at least three times a week and add less salt to your foods.
- Don’t Forget About Exercise: Your heart, like every other muscle, needs exercise. Start off the month by walking for 15 minutes three times a week. By mid-month, bump it to 30 minutes three times a week.
- Quit Smoking: If you currently smoke, cutting this carcinogenic habit from your life can significantly cut the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Go to Your Doctor: It is important that you schedule regular check-ups with your doctor, even if you exhibit no symptoms of heart disease. A regular check-up can help detect problems early before they become serious issues.
- Take Your Medication as Prescribed: If your doctor prescribed medicine, it is important that you take it in order for you to fight the symptoms of heart disease. Talk to your doctor about high blood pressure and cholesterol medications.
A proper life insurance policy would financially protect your loved ones if your heart is to unfortunately give out. Contact Purves & Associates Insurance Services in Davis, Sacramento, and the surrounding California areas for all your insurance needs.