Earthquakes have the potential to completely devastate your home. Here’s a look at what you should know about earthquake insurance in Sacramento, CA.
Earthquake insurance covers some of the losses and damage that an earthquake can cause to your home, assets, and other buildings in your property. Unlike homeowners insurance, which is required if you own a mortgage, earthquake insurance is entirely optional. Before you decide to save money and not opt for it, consider the following points.
What to Consider About Earthquake Insurance
- Your homeowners insurance does not cover damage that is caused by an earthquake. Meaning that if an earthquake destroys your home, you won’t see a cent from your insurance company. The only exception is fire damage caused by an earthquake. California law requires that homeowners and renters insurance to cover fire damage that is caused or follows an earthquake.
- If you have homeowners insurance in California, your insurance company must offer you earthquake insurance and must keep doing so every other year. The offer must be in writing, and it should tell you the limits of coverage, deductible, and the premium.
- It’s important to note that earthquake insurance, unfortunately, does not cover everything you lost. The purpose of it is to help you get back on your feet. For more clarification, contact your insurance agent.
- If your home or condo is being repaired, earthquake insurance can help pay for living elsewhere, like a rented or hotel room.
- If you own a mobile home, it and your belongings are covered under earthquake insurance.
Earthquake insurance is here to help you put a roof over your head if an earthquake were to cause some damage to your home and affect your family. To find the right earthquake insurance in Sacramento, CA and surrounding areas, contact the insurance professionals at Purves & Associates in Davis. An instant quote saves you time and money!