California residents are no stranger to the dangers and damages associated with earthquakes. As many homeowners prepare for another big California earthquake, it becomes increasingly more important that we prepare our homes for the sudden shakes! Gathered are some vital earthquake safety tips to keep you and your home safe:
- It is imperative that you create a family disaster communications plan that accounts for all possible perils. This should include contact information for a family member who lives in another state as a safe zone. No matter where anyone is when the disaster strikes, your out-of-state family member will receive a call to determine who is in need of help.
- Plan an escape route for each room in your house. Each member of your family should be educated in this escape plan. We recommend holding monthly disaster drills for your entire family to reduce anxieties.
- It is important that you have all vital documents secured, in case of an emergency. This may entail having an extra copy either digitally or in a safety deposit box.
- Make sure to schedule a time annually, in which you stock your emergency preparedness kit. This kit should include a first aid kit, nonperishable food, 3 gallons of water per person, flashlights, batteries, dust masks, and a battery-operated radio.
- Each member of your family should understand what to do when an earthquake hits. This means dropping for cover in a sturdy location and remaining away from any glass, trees, structures, or heavy furniture. If you are driving, do not get out of your vehicle.
Contact Purves & Associates Insurance Services for all of your California earthquake insurance needs. As a California homeowner, you must obtain this vital form of insurance protection in order to feel confident in the security of your home.