Your home needs to be protected from the dangers of mold and mildew; do you know how to prevent the growth of these fungi?
There are over 100,0000 species of mold worldwide, each fixed to its specific niche but all do one thing: they recycle dead organic matter back into its simple building blocks to be used as nutrients by future generations of life. You even owe your life to Penicillium chrysogenum, the mold responsible for assisting in the creation of penicillin. But as beneficial as most molds are, you don’t want them growing in your home. Homeowners insurance in Sacramento can help, depending on the source of the moisture. Here are a few ways you can protect your home from mold and mildew.
Reduce the Humidity
- Keep the humidity level in your home to between 30 and 60 percent by using air conditioners or dehumidifying machines.
- Don’t install carpet in rooms that tend to get wet and damp. These rooms include such quarters as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Water tends to pool and collect at the bottom of the pot in houseplants, make sure to soak this water up.
Dry and Disinfect After Water Damage
- After the water damage, properly dry or remove the soaked carpets, padding, and upholstery within twenty-four to forty-eight hours. Anything that cannot be dried completely must be thrown out.
- Mop and remove any and all stagnant water. Nothing contributes to the growth of mold faster than warm, standing water. Mold can quickly become airborne if allowed to mature and release its spores.
- Make sure to wash and disinfect all surfaces that came into contact with the water damage. This includes things like floors, walls, shelves, closets, ceilings, et cetera.
Email us at Quote@PurvesInsurance.com. Or call us at (530) 756-5561. We will give you that homeowners insurance quote the very same day. For all of your insurance needs, don’t hesitate to contact Purves & Associates.