Most parents struggle with the very idea that their teens are now driving, and that’s before they even consider their auto insurance premium. Teen drivers are typically bad drivers, and are much more likely to be involved in a car accident than older, more experienced drivers.
If you have a teenager learning to drive, make sure that you have the right coverage in place so you are prepared for the costs associated with accidents, injuries, and property damage.
Teen Driving Risk
Take a look at some of the factors that cause higher auto insurance rates for teens:
- The per-mile crash rate for teenage drivers is three times higher after 9:00 p.m. than during the day.
- Teens use seat belts less than other groups; statistically, over 50 percent of teens involved in fatal crashes aren’t wearing their seatbelt at the time of the crash.
- The fatality rate of 16-17-year-old drivers is 3.6 times higher when they have passengers.
Affordable Insurance Rates
Parents can help their teens become safe drivers by teaching them good driving habits and developing their skills. Your child should first develop confidence and experience before being allowed to drive alone or with friends – which they commonly do in spite of state law. Spend some time driving with them. Set an example by not answering calls or texts while you drive, too.
Insurance rates vary among teenagers. Ask your insurance agent for all available discounts and ways to reduce costs. Some insurance companies offer discounts and savings for:
- Excellent grades (Good Student Discount)
- A claims-free driving record
- Passing a safe driving course (Good Driver Discount)
- If the teen is away at college and only drives the car occasionally, when home
- Owning multiple vehicles and insuring them through the same company
- Driving a car that has a high safety rating
While you can expect your premium to increase when you add a teen driver to your policy, there are definitely ways to keep your costs down. Secure the protection for your child and the peace of mind for yourself through a Davis, CA auto insurance policy. At Purves & Associates Insurance Services, you receive personalized coverage! Contact our team in Davis, California to get started.