Unemployment insurance could help you should you find yourself unemployed.
Unemployment insurance was created to benefit those eligible workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own, and meet other eligibility requirements of the state’s law. It’s intended to provide cash benefits to these eligible workers. In general, benefits are based on a percentage of your earnings over a recent 52-week period, and each state sets a maximum amount that one can receive. Benefits are subject to taxes, and these earnings must be reported on your income tax return. Know what unemployment is, and why your business needs it to keep afloat and survive another day in the wildly competitive market.
- You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own! There are other requirements that are determined by your state.
- You must also meet the state requirements for wages earned, or time worked during an established period of time that’s known as the “base period.”
Filing a Claim
- Contact the State Unemployment Insurance (UI) agency as soon as you become unemployed.
- You should file your claim with the state in which you worked. If you worked in a different state from where you live, contact the UI to receive instructions on how to file your claim.
- The UI will ask for certain information such as address, and dates of your former employer. To expedite your process, be sure to give out correct and complete information.
- It usually takes two to three weeks after you file your claim to receive your first check. Some states, however, require a one-month waiting period—so if this is your state, have plans on how you will maintain yourself for this time period.
When it comes to finding the right unemployment insurance in Sacramento, CA, contact the experts at Purves & Associates Insurance Services. Serving Sacramento, Davis, and surrounding Northern California areas, we will work with you to ensure you can get the right amount of coverage for your specific needs, all at the right price to fit your budget.